In this global economy filled with fierce competition, success today requires not only an accumulation of knowledge but also the ability to process information intelligently: develop strong arguments, collect and analyze relevant information, and communicate effectiveness. These skills can be mastered through logics and critical thinking.
International Education Institute, VNU-HCM offers Training Workshop on Logic and Critical Thinking aimed to enhance critical thinking and solving problems skills. Participants of the workshop will have the opportunity to develop ideas using logic and critical thinking skills, and how to communicate these ideas effectively.
GOALS OF THE WORKSHOP
Specific goals of the workshop include:
- Awareness of factors that influence one’s beliefs, attitudes, and values;
- Understand the key components for formulating a claim and identify its most important aspects;
- Provide rationale to support the claims
- Identify relevant information that can be used as evidence to justify claims;
- Evaluate the quality of the evidence and acknowledge limitation
- Effectively articulate one’s argument while acknowledging multiple perspectives;
- Revise idea based on critical reflection and constructive feedback.
CONTENTS OF THE PROGRAM
The workshop will consist of three parts:
- Define and explain logical and critical thinking. What makes a good argument? What are the common mistakes when making an argument?
- Aware of the multiple perspectives surrounding any given issue. Apply logical and critical thinking skills to engage in controversial topics. What tools can we use to communicate our ideas effectively?
- Use evidence-based practices to strengthen logical and critical thinking skills. What role does research play to foster critical thinking? What evidence is needed to arrive at appropriate conclusions? How to avoid common mistakes?
Active Learning Exercises
- In addition to discussion, participants will engage in active learning exercises including hands-on, oral, and written activities.
- The workshop also provides specific topics depending on the needs of the participants. Suggested topics include:
- Reflection on personal beliefs, values, and attitudes;
- Formulate idea related to the personal attributes mentioned above;
- Identify evidence needed to support idea;
- Evaluate the quality of evidence
- Re-examine assumptions through critical reflection
- Should we develop schools for the gifted as a special type of high school education and treat them specially? What are pros and cons?
- Costs and benefit, the good and the bad, strength and weaknesses of the current form of university entrance exam in Vietnam?
- Is there educational market in Vietnam? Do you support the ideas of considering education as a market in which students are customers, schools are providers, and student should have right of demanding quality education deserving tuiton fees?
- One said that appropriate moral/ethical behaviors make people weak in competition with others. What do you think?
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
Educational administrators at all levels, especially directors of the Research Office, researchers and lectures in all subjects, and who those who wish to enhance their skills and knowledge.
Natalie Tran, Ph.D. in Educational Leadership and Policy Analysis, Assistant Professor at California State University-Fullerton. As a principal investigator on several research projects and lecturer of educational research courses, Dr. Tran possesses extensive knowledge and experience in critical thinking. In addition, she has experience teaching in secondary school and university settings. Participants will learn not only critical thinking skills but also how to engage students in the classroom.
-Schedule: Two and half days full-time: Tentatively July 24, 25, 26/07/2012.
- Location: International Education Institute, 232/15 Vo Thi Sau street, Dist. 3, HCMC
- Certification: Upon completion of the workshop (attending 70% of the workshop), participants will be awarded a certificate of
- Documents: Participants will be provided with the course handbook prior to the commencement of the course and are expected
to complete all reading materials before attending the lecture series.
- Deadline for registration: July 15, 2011.
→ Contacts and registration: For further information, please contact the Center for Human Resource Development at the following address: R. 514-516 Nhà Điều hành, Khu phố 6 P.Linh Trung Q. Thủ Đức TPHCM.
→ Tel: 37242160 ext 1973, Ms Linh: 0909310886
→ Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
→ Website: www.chrd.edu.vn